Skip to main content

Off to College and Back to School

Brynn was busy cleaning and packing last week in preparation for her move up to UND to start college.




Come to find out during actual move-in that the color coding was with purpose - she knew exactly what was in each tote based on the color of the label. :-)

Our move-in time slot was at 11:30 on Saturday. There is major construction going on in Grand Forks, so we made sure to leave early. We got right in line when we were supposed to and the whole process went so smoothly - we unloaded Brynn's stuff from our vehicles to the lawn in front of her hall and student helpers took it all from there and delivered it right to her room while she and Dana parked.

Unleashing the chair!


Miffy came to college too.

Brynn had calculated all the measurements for the furniture ahead of time and knew exactly how she wanted everything arranged.



Kiyah's mom made these cute pennants for the girls.

Brynn got everything unpacked while I hung out and Dad went to grab us some lunch to eat back at the dorms. I love how she decorated everything - it is so her.


I was so proud of myself for not crying all day! I know everyone expected me to be a big mess, but I must have disasociated from reality just enough to make it through. We all miss her lots, of course, but are also just so excited for her college journey. Photo cred goes to Reagan as Brynn asked if she'd come for a visit and she hopped right over. 

We had been texting a bit Sunday and Monday and were able to FaceTime on Tuesday which was the first full day of classes at UND. She has been really liking college life so far and said her classes went well.

I'm backing up a bit for Clara as we had back-to-school night last Thursday before she went to the lake. She was able to locate her classrooms and put her stuff in her locker.

She will be playing saxophone in the school band.

Our middle schooler!


She said she wanted to ride the bus this morning instead of having me drop her off. After about 15 years of school drop-offs on the first day, it was pretty weird to not do it this year, but the middle school drop-off system is quite congested, so I wasn't too sad! We watched the bus roaming around on the app before it made its way back onto our street to get Clara. She said it was pretty full!



She was talking all about her day non-stop when I got home, but it was mostly a good report, thankfully. She really likes all her teachers. And her good friend, Cade, is in several classes with her.

And then a very sweet surprise from my boss Jen. 



She was pretty tuckered out after her big day at the middle school, but she still wanted to go to the middle school ministry bonfire at church tonight. I'm sure she'll sleep well tonight.

Here's to a great year for both girls! We're so proud of them both.













Comments

theweckerlys said…
Big year for you all! I'm glad Clara has her bud in some classes - that is always fun! It's great to hear Brynn is enjoying college!

Popular posts from this blog

Clara's Recital + Scouting Event + XaFriendsgiving

I was in full fall mode watching 'When Harry Met Sally" in my turkey leg slippers the other night. Dana and I went out to eat at Granite City on Friday night and I think I found my signature cocktail for Christmas. It's called Snow on the Beach and it was so pretty and tasted really good! Saturday morning Clara had her piano recital and did a great job! Thank you to sister Brynn and the grandparents for coming. After lunch with everyone (family, not the other piano students), she was off to the next thing which was  a Scouting event at NDSU. She had to miss the morning session because of the recital, but in the afternoon they made a tool box. It turned out great. That night we had the XaBeat (the exercise dance class I go to) crew with spouses over for a little XaFriendsgiving. It was super fun. Dana mixing up old fashioneds. There was no shortage of food - it was an amazing spread. Dana smoked a couple turkey breasts that turned out really well and the stuffing sausage bi...

Christmas 2025/New Years 2026

Christmas gift wrapping shenanigans: Keeping Brynn company while she wraps all of our Christmas gifts. Brynn and I couldn't help but peek at the 150 Famous Poems book we gave to Clara. So many good ones. Getting into the holiday spirit at Courts Plus. Ha! Christmas eve brunch. Clara's gingerbread house contest strategy notes. Contestants were allowed 20 minutes to shop for their houses at Wal-mart. We left ourselves little time to get ready for the 3:00 Christmas eve service at our church. But, we made it and thankfully didn't have to sit in the overflow area in the chapel! It was a beautiful service. We had bit more time in between church and when we planned to leave for Tessa's, so I mixed up my eggnog and we got the car packed. Tessa's family hosted Christmas eve at their lake home. We had a great mix of people to play a game of Mind the Gap. Getting cookies ready for Santa. Clara got Dana and me up around 7:30 and we watched her open her stocking. I think Dana a...

Halloween 2025

Happy Halloween! We did trick-or-treating at my office again and celebrated National Cat Day a couple of days late. Unicorn making magic happen! The kids and Freddy. We got a little bit of a late start around 7:30. We went to a neighborhood near the high school where several of Clara's friends live. We stopped at Micah's house to say hi and another schoolmate happened to be over as well. We got to visiting too long and by the time we headed back out, some houses either had run out of candy (including Micah's, where they went through 600 pieces his mom said) or were already done for the night. But, we still got around to several. It had just gotten done raining and the wind was cold, so I didn't care to be out too long myself. Clara asked to have another post-Halloween party this year and Brynn planned and executed the whole thing. One of our fav parts was the missing children posters which were all the guests. Green Army Man, Clara Barton, Luna Lovegood (from Harry Pott...