Skip to main content

Back to School

 On Tuesday Clara had back-to-school night and got to meet her teacher and bring her supplies, etc.



Her teacher is only in her second year of teaching and seems super nice.

On Wednesday Grandpa Kim came in to town from the lake to spend the day with the girls before they started school on Thursday. I thought it was so cute that Clara was so excited, the night before she laid out her outfit for the next day. 

Thursday was the first day of 2nd grade for Clara and 9th for Brynn at the high school!

Clara and I decided to bike over.

She had a really good first day, but had said she didn't want to go back on Friday...and then later told Dad that she was excited. So many emotions this first week! I think she really does like her teacher and she has at least one friend in her class, but she had such a good summer with Jenine, it seemed hard for her to see that end, of course. I know she'll have a great year!

Brynn starts almost an hour later than Clara, though they are still on the same morning bus route. I was going to drop her off for her first day, but her friend who lives nearby offered to pick her up, so it was very weird for me to not be the one to take her to school on the first day!



And then I was going to pick her up from school since I biked back over to get Clara, but she and her friend walked to her friend's house and then she came home later on. They've been biking over together in the mornings, so at least she doesn't have to get up as early to make it on the bus. 

She already got her school ID back as they took their school photos before school even started for the year. She was happy with how they turned out this year; I think they turned out so great! I don't think it's sunk in for me yet that she's in high school now.

She likes her teachers pretty well and is excited for the electives she chose. I know she'll have a great year, too, and start to high school.

It's a good thing we started the school year on a Thursday because it seemed just two days of school wiped Clara out. She slept in until 9:00 on Saturday and about 8:45 this morning! 

Brynn took a little break from Culvers to adjust to school, but plans to work some evenings during the weekday during the school year.

Comments

theweckerlys said…
Clara has a cute class! I'm sure she will have a great year. It is hard to transition from summer fun back to school. I, too, cannot believe Brynn is in high school! Where does the time go? Her ID turned out great! Reagan hated hers and texted me from school asking if she could request to get a different one. I told her that was a bummer, but they have bigger fish to fry than getting her a better-looking student ID :P Maybe her junior year one will be better!
theweckerlys said…
Oh, also so glad Brynn has a buddy to go to and fro school with!
Anonymous said…
Back to school realness, super cute!

Popular posts from this blog

January Recap

Right before Christmas break was done, Brynn and  I went downtown to Nichole's for some graduation planning. Making lefse! Clara finished up her time in robotics league with a presentation of the robots and mission that she and her partner/friend, Elizabeth, had been working on. Here's a video compilation of two of the missions they presented. It was so cool. I especially liked the one that picked up the rocks. Some of Brynn's recent drawings. Bedtime snuggles. 💜 I was messaging with Clara's teacher to see if he could let her know that Brynn would pick her up from school one of the very cold days last week. He wrote me back to confirm Clara received the message. I asked Clara when she got home if she wrote that last sentence. Haha. Clara had her first swim meet on Saturday, which was a 'home meet,' hosted by Clara's team, the Red Dragons at Moorhead High School. She was disgruntled about getting up at 7:00 am on a Saturday morning, but each team had specifi...

Clara's Recital + Scouting Event + XaFriendsgiving

I was in full fall mode watching 'When Harry Met Sally" in my turkey leg slippers the other night. Dana and I went out to eat at Granite City on Friday night and I think I found my signature cocktail for Christmas. It's called Snow on the Beach and it was so pretty and tasted really good! Saturday morning Clara had her piano recital and did a great job! Thank you to sister Brynn and the grandparents for coming. After lunch with everyone (family, not the other piano students), she was off to the next thing which was  a Scouting event at NDSU. She had to miss the morning session because of the recital, but in the afternoon they made a tool box. It turned out great. That night we had the XaBeat (the exercise dance class I go to) crew with spouses over for a little XaFriendsgiving. It was super fun. Dana mixing up old fashioneds. There was no shortage of food - it was an amazing spread. Dana smoked a couple turkey breasts that turned out really well and the stuffing sausage bi...

Christmas 2025/New Years 2026

Christmas gift wrapping shenanigans: Keeping Brynn company while she wraps all of our Christmas gifts. Brynn and I couldn't help but peek at the 150 Famous Poems book we gave to Clara. So many good ones. Getting into the holiday spirit at Courts Plus. Ha! Christmas eve brunch. Clara's gingerbread house contest strategy notes. Contestants were allowed 20 minutes to shop for their houses at Wal-mart. We left ourselves little time to get ready for the 3:00 Christmas eve service at our church. But, we made it and thankfully didn't have to sit in the overflow area in the chapel! It was a beautiful service. We had bit more time in between church and when we planned to leave for Tessa's, so I mixed up my eggnog and we got the car packed. Tessa's family hosted Christmas eve at their lake home. We had a great mix of people to play a game of Mind the Gap. Getting cookies ready for Santa. Clara got Dana and me up around 7:30 and we watched her open her stocking. I think Dana a...