Skip to main content

Chicago + Camp Wilderness

I was setting off to for Chicago again for the trade show that I do there for work each year and this time Brynn tagged along. Thankfully my boss Jen's daughters, whom Brynn knows pretty well, were also planning to come on the trip. Since Jen and I weren't available during the trade show hours, the girls were able to do some things together. Otherwise, Brynn did some shopping and walking down by the riverfront and pier, got coffee and thought about how she didn't want to leave to come back home to ND. ;-)

Unforunately we flew out of Fargo at an asinine time of 5:00 AM on Saturday - upon reflection, I think that must have been the cheapest flight and of course we wanted to leave sometime in the morning as that was my only totally free day where I wasn't doing any trade show set up or working the show once it started.

We weren't able to check in to our hotel early, so we stowed our luggage and set out for our brunch reservation Brynn had booked for us at Beatnik on the River. It was so gorgeous in there.
 






We caught the fireworks over the pier that night.

Brynn out with Jen's girls, Bella and Kaytlin. (Fun fact: I started working at SK - now HFI - just weeks after Kaytlin was born.)

We had a little time to kill before our Sunday dinner reservation so we visited Millenium Park again and saw the Bean.



We were able to walk to most places. I love all the buildings and there are so many good restaurants.






We tried a Peruvian restaurant called Cabra. It was so delicious.





The trade show ended on Wednesday and Jen gave Brynn her badge to get into the show since she wasn't going to be there for that day, so Brynn came over for the last hour. I had to snap a pic and send to Jen. 

Brynn had wanted to go to Chinatown to this place where you could decorate a phone case, so we hopped over there once the show was done, ate an early dinner and got to the airport to come back home. 


It was fun having her along with me! 


Meanwhile, Clara and the rest of Scout Troop 276 of the Northern Lights Council packed up and shipped out to Camp Wildnerness near Park Rapids on Sunday morning.

The leaders were sending us photos and updates all week and we were so grateful to be getting all the info and pictures. I was zooming in on every photo to see if it looked like Clara was having a good time. 

They were able to earn some badges through different activities and a couple of things that Clara signed up for was a drama/theater track and Trailblazers which entailed getting her fire safety and knife safety badges. In addition to those things, they did all kinds of other tasks, adventures, rec activities, etc. 

They brought cots to sleep on inside their tents. Since Clara and Corinne were the only girls in their troop who attended camp, it was just the two of them in a tent together.

I knew before they left that they were planning a five mile hike and I think this is what this picture was from. I asked Clara how bad it was and she said not bad at all, so I was glad to hear that. I know they took a lot breaks and she had her canteen backpack. It was so hot and humid up there though.

I was amazed at these pics anyhow, but also how clear the sky was. The leaders had reported back to us that the smoke wasn't bad where they were, but just north near Ely, a different Scout camp had to evacuate due to the smoke, and so Camp Wildnerness took on 400 additional campers and leaders.










I know they retired a flag during camp and I believe that's what they're doing in this photo.

They celebrated a birthday!


I think each troop takes turns serving breakfast and dinner.













Dana was able to go spend the last night there and had a tent all to himself. Clara was so ecstatic to have him come stay.  She made this chair during Trailblazers.

They got up at 5:00 AM on Saturday to get everything packed up to head home. It was a long week, but full of amazing experiences. Clara said she had a great time and made so many good memories, got to do a lot of things she had never done before and learned a lot of new skills.

My dad had asked me if I wanted to see Travis Tritt perform at The Lights in West Fargo so he and I went to that Friday night. It was really fun and Travis sounded great.

I had dinner there by way of a beer and an Uncrustable. 


Saturday was the Dietz Picnic at my aunt and uncle's lake. Brynn unfortunately had to work and Clara was so exhausted from camp that when she arrived home just before I was getting ready to leave for the lake, she decided she'd have to stay home and rest. I think she said she ended up lying down for a nap around 1:30 or 2:00 and she didn't get up until 5:00. So, I went solo and it was another great time of visiting and good food. I even got to go tubing. 

It's good to be home and have everyone back under one roof again. Later this week we're all off again though, setting off to West Yellowstone for a family vacation. 



































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween 2025

Happy Halloween! We did trick-or-treating at my office again and celebrated National Cat Day a couple of days late. Unicorn making magic happen! The kids and Freddy. We got a little bit of a late start around 7:30. We went to a neighborhood near the high school where several of Clara's friends live. We stopped at Micah's house to say hi and another schoolmate happened to be over as well. We got to visiting too long and by the time we headed back out, some houses either had run out of candy (including Micah's, where they went through 600 pieces his mom said) or were already done for the night. But, we still got around to several. It had just gotten done raining and the wind was cold, so I didn't care to be out too long myself. Clara asked to have another post-Halloween party this year and Brynn planned and executed the whole thing. One of our fav parts was the missing children posters which were all the guests. Green Army Man, Clara Barton, Luna Lovegood (from Harry Pott...

Christmas 2025/New Years 2026

Christmas gift wrapping shenanigans: Keeping Brynn company while she wraps all of our Christmas gifts. Brynn and I couldn't help but peek at the 150 Famous Poems book we gave to Clara. So many good ones. Getting into the holiday spirit at Courts Plus. Ha! Christmas eve brunch. Clara's gingerbread house contest strategy notes. Contestants were allowed 20 minutes to shop for their houses at Wal-mart. We left ourselves little time to get ready for the 3:00 Christmas eve service at our church. But, we made it and thankfully didn't have to sit in the overflow area in the chapel! It was a beautiful service. We had bit more time in between church and when we planned to leave for Tessa's, so I mixed up my eggnog and we got the car packed. Tessa's family hosted Christmas eve at their lake home. We had a great mix of people to play a game of Mind the Gap. Getting cookies ready for Santa. Clara got Dana and me up around 7:30 and we watched her open her stocking. I think Dana a...

Clara's 11th Birthday

Clara celebrated her 11th birthday with a disco themed party with her friends and musical party with family. Happy birthday, Clara Rae! We love you! Brynn baked and decorated Clara's family party cake while Clara decorated the cupcakes she and I baked for her friend party. Dana and Clara turned the back garage into a discotheque and Clara made up a playlist for Dana to use when he was DJing.   I made her birthday baked oats the morning of her birthday. Brynn did an incredible job on the cake! After her own party, Clara was off to another one for her friend Elizabeth.  On Sunday Clara wanted to go to The Olive Garden for her birthday dinner out. They gave her a whole container of mints just for her. Ha.