Skip to main content

Cousin Camp 2017

You may recall Brynn attended her first Cousin Camp at my sister's back in 2015 (revisit that post here). They were all so little then. More cousins have been born in the past couple of years and this year more cousin campers were able to attend, so Tessa and I teamed up together as co-camp counselors. If you follow her blog, sorry; there will be a lot of overlap in this post. 

Anyway, the girls and I drove to Hurdsfield on Thursday night. Tessa and I stayed up too late doing the iron-on transfers for the campers' shirts. They turned out cute, though. Tessa was also busy making signs. 



Camp didn't start until 2:00 pm on Friday and in the morning Tessa kids had their last swimming lesson, so we tagged along to the Fessenden pool with them. This is where I learned to swim and took lessons growing up, so it was fun for my kids to come back and swim here too. 



Clara was able to swim in the baby pool during the lessons in the big pool. Brynn swam in here a bit too, played in the park and then did a little free swim after lessons.



Ready for the campers to arrive!



Tessa had the great idea to buddy up the older kids with the younger to help with getting dressed, eating, going to the bathroom, etc. The older kids did a great job with helping their buddies, so this system really worked out well.



Clara going out to greet the first campers arriving. We had 12 campers in total including Tessa's and my kids, ranging in age from one up to 10.




First they decorated the backs of their shirts with fabric markers. Creative juices were flowing and it was fun to see their designs.










Pool time! The kids had fun swimming and trying to squeeze as many as would fit onto this water mat.



After supper was the talent show. We had an array of talents ranging from basketball to gymnastics to magic. Very entertaining! Brynn and Reagan teamed up for one interpretive dance-type number.





Clara and Brynn each did a solo gymnastics routine. Well, Clara did a somersault. :-)






I think this was the group finale.




The next morning they got started on a frame craft. Each family of campers received one frame to decorate in which Tessa will insert their group photo.




The whole crew of campers!

 Then we played a bunch of games which was super hilarious. First up was the shaving cream/Cool Whip shower cap game. The campers partnered up with their camp buddies and attempted to get as many Cheetos to stick to their buddy's shower caps as possible. Brynn and Ben won that one.







This was also a highly entertaining game: Fear Factor/Food Challenge. The idea was to start with the most palatable food items which were lentil crisps, lemons, black licorice and move on to grosser stuff like hot tamales, tomato juice, bleu cheese stuffed olives. It was completely voluntary to participate and the campers knew in advance what they would be eating. They needed to eat the entire portion of what Tessa gave them to move onto the next food item.



The lemons produced the most hilarious reactions. :-D






Even Clara tried some black licorice.


We had a bunch of takers for the tomato juice!


Down the hatch! Sadly, that's what took out most of the contestants.


We had a sibling pair remaining for the bleu cheese stuffed olives.


Caden had a good strategy of plugging his nose and emerged the winner!



Dinner time! Tessa had thoughtfully planned out awesome kid-friendly meals.


Some of the campers with Counselor Tessa.


Prairie (She is only a week younger than Clara and they are the same little size. So cute.) was trying to put her swim suit on me. So silly.



Brynn traded Caden for his Fear Factor prize (with her shower cap game prize) and landed this pack of Lip Smackers.



Tessa had plenty of yummy ice cream treats.


Sadie dog wanted some too.



Head Camp Counselors! We survived! Haha.



Camp ended at 2:00 PM on Saturday and after the last campers had left, we headed to Harvey to meet up with my mom and grandma for supper at the Tastee Freeze and swimming at the public pool.




Cousin Camp 2017 seemed to be a success! There was even another cousin born during cousin camp as Chad's brother and his wife welcomed their fourth child, a baby boy, in Fargo on Saturday morning. 

Comments

theweckerlys said…
Hey I thought the kids made those signs 😉😉😉 haha. Definitely was a successful camp I think! Thanks again!!

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Things + Dana's Hunting Trip

 Clara and I walked over to the high school for a boys' soccer game. They were pretty impressive to watch. Elise and Clara had fun raking leaves and Grandpa and Grandma's lake. Well, I know Clara had a great time for sure. I can't remember if I had posted that Dana did away with the garden and planted grass where it once was. So, Clara mowed that section. It was a perfect size for her to tackle. She might have found herself a summer job already. An amazing double rainbow! Thank you to those who donated for Clara's school walk-a-thon which took place last Monday. Dana and I were able to go watch and then joined in for some laps as well. Benny the Eagle was out there cheering the kids on too. Dana was busy making monster cookies for his annual hunting trip up north with his Dad and family friends. He kindly left some behind for us...which are long since gone now. :-) Grandma Holly came up while the guys were gone and took Clara shopping and the girls for lunch on Saturday

Thanksgiving 2023

The kids rolled out and baked sugar cookies for Thanksgiving. We finished our thankful pumpkin. I saw this in the store and given the season, it took me right back to my Grandma D's house on Thanksgiving and the bowl of walnuts she'd have on her table with the nutcracker. I wanted to buy it just for nostalgia purposes. Cora and Clara made these adorable turkey crafts at the crafternoon at the library.  On Tuesday we went downtown for the tree lighting at Broadway Square. Abby, Hubert's sister, joined us as well. She just turned 10, so she got along pretty well with Clara. They had s'mores kits so we had to toast some mallows right away. I love how Clara's marshmallow is completely ablaze and she's still posing for the photo. Hahaha. We had to visit the reindeer too. I made them do jazz hands. And then, of course, we had to hit up Blackbird afterward. Our Wednesday morning XaBeat class. We were feelin' pretty festive. The girls had Wednesday off from school,

May Day + My Birthday + Star Wars Day

Brynn put together our May Day baskets and did a fantastic job. Clara and I did the deliveries... And we received one as well with these beautiful flowers. It was from Clara's friend, Cora, and her fam. We went out to dinner as a family to celebrate my birthday on Wednesday to best accommodate schedules this week. I got to open my cards and gifts when we got home. I had picked up a slice of puppy chow cake at Sonder Bakehouse so we all shared that. Then Brynn and I went out to play a little tennis. It was a beautiful day outside. I had taken Friday (my actual birthday) off of work and Tessa came up to have brunch with me. We had Black Coffee + Waffle Bar. It was so fun. Then May did my hair as it was overdue for a cut and color. Dana and I were able to go out just us two while Brynn took Clara to her school fun night...not only that, but Brynn also volunteered to sell tickets/wristbands (I was originally going to do it) so that I didn't have to and could go out. 💜 I had a coup