Skip to main content

Halloween 2018

Well, there went another successful Halloween! 

Again this year we held a costume and office space decoration contest at my office. This year I won best costume! I went as Harry Potter from the Harry Potter book series. If  you think that sounds familiar, indeed it is as Brynn was going as one of the other characters, Hermione Granger.




And now the kids! We had a nice sized group come trick-or-treating at the office this year.
Not pictured is Clara as she was not cooperating to join the group.




One of my co-workers put together a zombie body parts guessing game. We played during the day and then left it out for the kids when they came by. They all seemed to get a kick out of feeling "tongue, skin, ears, fingers, brains and drool." Haha.




I didn't get very many good pictures of how I had my office decorated, but you can kind of see my spooky skeleton guy...holding an Almond Joy candy bar. hehe.


That's real dirt in the 'grave!'

Clara wasn't so sure if Mr. Skeleton.




This picture sums up Brynn's sentiments toward my costume. She was completely mortified of me. I was in full Harry Potter mode when I dropped her off at school in the morning and she asked me if I could take off my wig and classes. Naturally I told her that I would not...I've never seen her bolt from my car so fast! Hahaha. When I went to pick her up at church to bring her to my office, she didn't want me to be seen by anyone. Interestingly, being dressed up as Harry Potter made me realize how many Potter fans there are out there and so everyone else thought my costume was just great. I made sure to give a wave to everyone else in the after school program room. :-) I think she was most embarrassed because when I had first told her I was going to dress up as Harry Potter for Halloween, she thought it was ridiculous that I was going to dress up as a boy and kept suggesting other female Harry Potter characters to dress up as. 
  



The Harry Potter gang! There actually are some wolves in the second book/movie, I guess, so Clara still fit right in with Harry and Hermione.










Again this year only one neighbor had her lights on, ready to receive the two trick-or-treaters she gets ...which is us. Ha. She was so excited for us to stop by...every time the girls turned to leave, she'd pull out more goodies that she had. It wasn't just candy, but full-size candy bars and light up jewelry. Then there was the regular candy for the other houses in our cul-de-sac who didn't have their lights on for us. What a riot. It is so nice of her, though, especially because she's actually the neighbor we typically talk to the least!



Hitting up the best trick-or-treating neighborhood - full size candy and cans of soda!



Clara has a habit of either loving or hating pretty much everything...well, as she was rifling through the bowl at one of the houses, she gets to the Skittles and declares, "I hate Skittles!" Haha. At least the people at that house were cracking up over it. So, I asked her "what do you say," to which she offers up her "trick or treat." I said, "what about after that?" She thought for a little bit and then said, "oh! Thank you!" So many lines to remember!

We did stop at a couple houses in our old neighborhood too.



We decided to stop last at the older couple who lives across the street to the North of us in the older folks' twinhomes. (I thought I had posted about it on the earlier this summer, but can't seem to find it now. But how we met this couple was they were out for a walk when they had seen Brynn lying down in our driveway - we were all outside together and Brynn was pretending to be a dead horse and I was supposed to be the vet. Anyhow, they saw what appeared to be Brynn in some type of distress and rushed into our yard to see if everything was ok. We had a chuckle over it because obviously she was just playing, and it didn't even occur to us what it probably looked like from outside our yard! Dana and Tom started visiting about Dana's garage trim project he was working on at the time and learned that Tom used to be a controller at CNH back in the day. So, they really hit it off then. A few weeks later, Tom asked Dana to help him with a house project at their place. Dana went over to lend a hand and came back home with a pry bar that Tom had given to him. Apparently it was Tom's dad's and he thought Dana should have it.) ANYWAY! Got a little off track there, but when we stopped for trick or treating, Tom seemed excited that we stopped and asked if we could come in for a visit. So, we traipsed in and chatted for a while and they gave us a tour of their house. And Tom took me into his garage to show me what Dana had worked on with him this summer. When we walked in, LuAnna (Tom's wife) asked us if we remembered when Brynn was lying in our yard and they thought .... well, she couldn't even finish her sentence of what they thought might have been awry. Hehe. I laughed and told her we actually still talk about that story all the time. They are such a sweet couple.

Well, back to Halloween....

Of course we did not get any trick-or-treaters which is probably the only thing I actually do miss about our old house/neighborhood.

It was a nice night for being out, though, so we can't ask for more than that. The girls really made a haul again this year!


Comments

theweckerlys said…
Ooo-eeee, looks like some good treats! Fun trick-or-treating times! Everyone looked great!

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Things + Dana's Hunting Trip

 Clara and I walked over to the high school for a boys' soccer game. They were pretty impressive to watch. Elise and Clara had fun raking leaves and Grandpa and Grandma's lake. Well, I know Clara had a great time for sure. I can't remember if I had posted that Dana did away with the garden and planted grass where it once was. So, Clara mowed that section. It was a perfect size for her to tackle. She might have found herself a summer job already. An amazing double rainbow! Thank you to those who donated for Clara's school walk-a-thon which took place last Monday. Dana and I were able to go watch and then joined in for some laps as well. Benny the Eagle was out there cheering the kids on too. Dana was busy making monster cookies for his annual hunting trip up north with his Dad and family friends. He kindly left some behind for us...which are long since gone now. :-) Grandma Holly came up while the guys were gone and took Clara shopping and the girls for lunch on Saturday

Thanksgiving 2023

The kids rolled out and baked sugar cookies for Thanksgiving. We finished our thankful pumpkin. I saw this in the store and given the season, it took me right back to my Grandma D's house on Thanksgiving and the bowl of walnuts she'd have on her table with the nutcracker. I wanted to buy it just for nostalgia purposes. Cora and Clara made these adorable turkey crafts at the crafternoon at the library.  On Tuesday we went downtown for the tree lighting at Broadway Square. Abby, Hubert's sister, joined us as well. She just turned 10, so she got along pretty well with Clara. They had s'mores kits so we had to toast some mallows right away. I love how Clara's marshmallow is completely ablaze and she's still posing for the photo. Hahaha. We had to visit the reindeer too. I made them do jazz hands. And then, of course, we had to hit up Blackbird afterward. Our Wednesday morning XaBeat class. We were feelin' pretty festive. The girls had Wednesday off from school,

May Day + My Birthday + Star Wars Day

Brynn put together our May Day baskets and did a fantastic job. Clara and I did the deliveries... And we received one as well with these beautiful flowers. It was from Clara's friend, Cora, and her fam. We went out to dinner as a family to celebrate my birthday on Wednesday to best accommodate schedules this week. I got to open my cards and gifts when we got home. I had picked up a slice of puppy chow cake at Sonder Bakehouse so we all shared that. Then Brynn and I went out to play a little tennis. It was a beautiful day outside. I had taken Friday (my actual birthday) off of work and Tessa came up to have brunch with me. We had Black Coffee + Waffle Bar. It was so fun. Then May did my hair as it was overdue for a cut and color. Dana and I were able to go out just us two while Brynn took Clara to her school fun night...not only that, but Brynn also volunteered to sell tickets/wristbands (I was originally going to do it) so that I didn't have to and could go out. 💜 I had a coup