Skip to main content

NOLA, VBX, and More

I had a good trip down to New Orleans (which I quickly realized they now call NOLA = New Orleans, LA) a couple of weeks ago for work. Of course it was ridiculously hot and humid...and it just never cools down! After our trade show work was done during the day, we would walk around near Fremont Street and catch a bite to eat.




We were invited to a private party by one of our customers where they had rented out the House of Blues for the evening. They had some fun appetizers to try. I did get in on some good seafood while I was down there.

My boss took me here (Cafe Du Monde) twice for beignets. So yummy!

I was with my boss, a coworker and one of our former interns who came to the trade show with us one night and we still had a long walk yet back to our hotel when my co-worker blew out her flip flop. It was the best thing to happen to us as we had just come upon this bicycle rickshaw thing. It was so fun.




Our last night there we ate at Cochon Butcher which was basically just a bunch of meat, as you can see. It was very delicious though.


It was pretty hot back home when I returned, so we decided to check out Davies pool for the first time this year. It was pretty crowded there, so we didn't last too long
.

It was also pretty windy.


The girls had VBX (Hope calls it Vacation Bible Xperience) this past week. The theme this year was "The Chosen." I didn't really get the gist of it fully, but most of the pastors and people helping were dressed as jungle animals....and this unicorn below. Ha.





They both had a great experience again this year. They offered a morning session as well as the evening, so Clara ended up going twice in one day the first two days as her preschool class did the morning session together. She was getting pretty tuckered out, so she just came home for the last two evening sessions.

My boss also attends Hope and was able to get a neat video of one of their songs...of course, our fave right now, which I shared on here a couple of months ago. It is so moving to see how excited the kids get during the songs. In church this morning, they said between both campuses, they had over 900 kids attend. Love it!


I was so super bummed that I missed the confetti bomb at the end this year. :-( I was trying to make a roll/bun recipe at home for work and it was going seriously awry and I didn't leave home in time to make it. But, I copped this pic off of Hope's Facebook page.

Next year Brynn will be too old to participate, so she plans on volunteering somehow.


 One morning last week after I dropped off Clara, I was met by this Mallard while I was coming out of the building. He was so cute and pretty friendly. I told Clara I thought maybe he heard how fun VBX was and wanted in on the action. ;-)




Brynn had her follow-up orthodontist appointment this past week. I thought we would be waiting a while yet until we tackled braces, but due to some crowding that she has, they want to start now. :-/ Her dentist said she is a candidate for Invisalign so she is excited to try those rather than traditional braces.

She still has quite a few baby teeth to lose yet.

We made it down to the orchard one night on our bikes. It's been so nice out lately.


Comments

theweckerlys said…
I'm so jealous you got beignets from Cafe du Monde! I've always wanted to have one of those! I love love Brynn's swimsuit. Where is it from? And wow, that is a lot of VBX-ers.

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Things + Dana's Hunting Trip

 Clara and I walked over to the high school for a boys' soccer game. They were pretty impressive to watch. Elise and Clara had fun raking leaves and Grandpa and Grandma's lake. Well, I know Clara had a great time for sure. I can't remember if I had posted that Dana did away with the garden and planted grass where it once was. So, Clara mowed that section. It was a perfect size for her to tackle. She might have found herself a summer job already. An amazing double rainbow! Thank you to those who donated for Clara's school walk-a-thon which took place last Monday. Dana and I were able to go watch and then joined in for some laps as well. Benny the Eagle was out there cheering the kids on too. Dana was busy making monster cookies for his annual hunting trip up north with his Dad and family friends. He kindly left some behind for us...which are long since gone now. :-) Grandma Holly came up while the guys were gone and took Clara shopping and the girls for lunch on Saturday

Thanksgiving 2023

The kids rolled out and baked sugar cookies for Thanksgiving. We finished our thankful pumpkin. I saw this in the store and given the season, it took me right back to my Grandma D's house on Thanksgiving and the bowl of walnuts she'd have on her table with the nutcracker. I wanted to buy it just for nostalgia purposes. Cora and Clara made these adorable turkey crafts at the crafternoon at the library.  On Tuesday we went downtown for the tree lighting at Broadway Square. Abby, Hubert's sister, joined us as well. She just turned 10, so she got along pretty well with Clara. They had s'mores kits so we had to toast some mallows right away. I love how Clara's marshmallow is completely ablaze and she's still posing for the photo. Hahaha. We had to visit the reindeer too. I made them do jazz hands. And then, of course, we had to hit up Blackbird afterward. Our Wednesday morning XaBeat class. We were feelin' pretty festive. The girls had Wednesday off from school,

May Day + My Birthday + Star Wars Day

Brynn put together our May Day baskets and did a fantastic job. Clara and I did the deliveries... And we received one as well with these beautiful flowers. It was from Clara's friend, Cora, and her fam. We went out to dinner as a family to celebrate my birthday on Wednesday to best accommodate schedules this week. I got to open my cards and gifts when we got home. I had picked up a slice of puppy chow cake at Sonder Bakehouse so we all shared that. Then Brynn and I went out to play a little tennis. It was a beautiful day outside. I had taken Friday (my actual birthday) off of work and Tessa came up to have brunch with me. We had Black Coffee + Waffle Bar. It was so fun. Then May did my hair as it was overdue for a cut and color. Dana and I were able to go out just us two while Brynn took Clara to her school fun night...not only that, but Brynn also volunteered to sell tickets/wristbands (I was originally going to do it) so that I didn't have to and could go out. 💜 I had a coup