Skip to main content

California

Our California trip finally came and went! I flew out for my trade show on Tuesday the 7th to get there and get our booth set up. Everything went well with the show and it was back, bigger and better than ever after a couple-year hiatus due to COVID.  

I went on a run in the mornings to still do some type of exercise while I was away from Courts and my group fitness classes. I was worried that I would be hurtin' pretty badly after not having done any weights or anything for a full week. (Spoiler alert: that was still the case! 😑 I could barely walk for days after I came back.)

I saw these cool flowers all over - are they birds of paradise?

We always stay at the same hotel for the show every year, the Candy Cane Inn. It is so nice and conveniently close to the convention center...and Disneyland! 

It has two hot tubs and a swimming pool so I frequented the hot tub in the evenings after long days at the trade show. I was joined by this guy one night. Ew.

I spied a cute black kitty one morning. I wasn't able to catch up to him though. This is the parking lot of our motel - you can see Disneyland in the back there.

I was done working the trade show after Friday which is when the rest of the fam came out to join me.




I was actually surprised at how cold it was out there. The air still had a bit of a chill to it and I didn't feel like I was dressed warm enough the whole trip.

Then it started raining on Saturday morning when  we were scheduled to go to Disneyland park. Luckily I was able to snag a reservation for the princess breakfast, which was three courses, so that pretty much lasted the whole morning, especially by the time we got done canoodling with the princesses. Thankfully the rain had cleared up by the time we were done with that and we were ready to roam the park.

We were all very impressed with the service and food at the breakfast. 











Meeting the princesses...gone are the days of dressing up in our own princess gowns to match the Disney characters, so we were dressed for comfort, not style. We felt especially underdressed compared to the princesses. 😜



















I loved Sleeping Beauty's crown!








Dana and Clara went off together and Brynn and I went to do some rides.



















After a delish meal at Tortilla Jo's in downtown Disney, Clara and I headed back to the hotel to crash while Dana and Brynn stayed at the park to do more rides.







Sunday we had planned to do the Disneyland Adventure Park which is right next to Disneyland.

Clara and I started out together and Dana and Brynn did some rides.












The old Tower of Terror has been reformatted to Guardians of the Galaxy, though the concept of the ride itself is still the same: deathtrap! 





Of course it wasn't too cold for Clara to go swimming though!






And she even made a friend to swim with.

Clara in a towel sandwich.

After some swimming and relaxing in the afternoon, we went back to Adventureland Park for dinner and some more rides. 

That is Brynn and me on this contraption. I did not enjoy myself as my legs were dangling and the ride went up high.




Disney BeReal!

We checked out this neat obstacle course thing they had in Adventure Park. Before we started through it, we ended up battling against another family in a Disney villain trivia game. We got creamed. 

Part way through the course we came upon Raya from the Raya and the Last Dragon movie. 


Dana and Clara headed back to the hotel for the night and Brynn talked me into upgrading our tickets to a park hopper so that we could go back into the Disneyland park for more rides and the fireworks show.

I had to go back to the hotel and bundle up some more though...so that I could ride the best ride in the whole park, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, four times. 😃 Lines weren't super long, which was great, so we were able to get through to ride pretty quickly.


I always love their fireworks and illumination show.


We had to hit up It's a Small World.

We had our fill of churros on this trip. So yum!

Those Disney steps! 😅 My one foot starting hurting pretty badly by the time Brynn shut down the park at midnight on Sunday. Oof. Somehow I had also gotten a bad case of shin splints to boot. My foot still hurts!

Monday we had planned a trip to Long Beach to see the ocean and take in the aquarium and do a whale watching tour. It was still pretty chilly for the beach, not to mention, turns out Long Beach is trash. :( There was literally so much trash everywhere. We walked along the beach into a shopping area and Dana found a good place for lunch. (We didn't get moving too early that morning and by the time we Ubered over there, it was about 10:30 by the time we arrived to the beach.)



















The girls really enjoyed the aquarium.






















This thing was super cool. You could color a fish on this screen and then it would appear on the big screen and swim around!





After the aquarium it was time for the boat tour. We started out up front on top of the viewing deck. The sun felt so nice.


A Carnival cruise ship and the Queen Mary.


We did end up seeing a few whales.




Thankfully we were able to go under the boat deck and ride where it was warmer. The girls were so tired by this time and there wasn't a lot of action, so they mostly just rested down there and ate some snacks.







It was a great trip! I'm glad we were able to spend some time out there. Dana and I were back at work on Wednesday while the girls finished the rest of their spring break week. Clara was able to stay at Grandpa and Grandma Froemmings' for a couple of nights. Back to school tomorrow!





Comments

Tessa said…
Oooo do I love a Disney trip! Everything looked so fun! Sleeping Beauty's crown was beautiful. Made me a bit sad at the memory of the girls dressing up in their princess dresses. Great pics in front of the castle. What did Clara's pin say? I loved all the after-ride photos, ha. Your pizza looked so yummy. Both the pool and the hot tub looked like a good time. I wasn't sure how the character meet and greets were going post-COVID, but it looks like things are back to normal? I'm so glad you guys got some fun vacation time in as a fam!

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Things + Dana's Hunting Trip

 Clara and I walked over to the high school for a boys' soccer game. They were pretty impressive to watch. Elise and Clara had fun raking leaves and Grandpa and Grandma's lake. Well, I know Clara had a great time for sure. I can't remember if I had posted that Dana did away with the garden and planted grass where it once was. So, Clara mowed that section. It was a perfect size for her to tackle. She might have found herself a summer job already. An amazing double rainbow! Thank you to those who donated for Clara's school walk-a-thon which took place last Monday. Dana and I were able to go watch and then joined in for some laps as well. Benny the Eagle was out there cheering the kids on too. Dana was busy making monster cookies for his annual hunting trip up north with his Dad and family friends. He kindly left some behind for us...which are long since gone now. :-) Grandma Holly came up while the guys were gone and took Clara shopping and the girls for lunch on Saturday

Thanksgiving 2023

The kids rolled out and baked sugar cookies for Thanksgiving. We finished our thankful pumpkin. I saw this in the store and given the season, it took me right back to my Grandma D's house on Thanksgiving and the bowl of walnuts she'd have on her table with the nutcracker. I wanted to buy it just for nostalgia purposes. Cora and Clara made these adorable turkey crafts at the crafternoon at the library.  On Tuesday we went downtown for the tree lighting at Broadway Square. Abby, Hubert's sister, joined us as well. She just turned 10, so she got along pretty well with Clara. They had s'mores kits so we had to toast some mallows right away. I love how Clara's marshmallow is completely ablaze and she's still posing for the photo. Hahaha. We had to visit the reindeer too. I made them do jazz hands. And then, of course, we had to hit up Blackbird afterward. Our Wednesday morning XaBeat class. We were feelin' pretty festive. The girls had Wednesday off from school,

May Day + My Birthday + Star Wars Day

Brynn put together our May Day baskets and did a fantastic job. Clara and I did the deliveries... And we received one as well with these beautiful flowers. It was from Clara's friend, Cora, and her fam. We went out to dinner as a family to celebrate my birthday on Wednesday to best accommodate schedules this week. I got to open my cards and gifts when we got home. I had picked up a slice of puppy chow cake at Sonder Bakehouse so we all shared that. Then Brynn and I went out to play a little tennis. It was a beautiful day outside. I had taken Friday (my actual birthday) off of work and Tessa came up to have brunch with me. We had Black Coffee + Waffle Bar. It was so fun. Then May did my hair as it was overdue for a cut and color. Dana and I were able to go out just us two while Brynn took Clara to her school fun night...not only that, but Brynn also volunteered to sell tickets/wristbands (I was originally going to do it) so that I didn't have to and could go out. 💜 I had a coup