Skip to main content

Myrtle Beach 2024

 We were a little nervous getting ready to depart for our flight to Myrtle Beach due to the security breach that took down many flights on the Friday before we left. We did pretty well, though. We made it to our connection in Minneapolis where we were delayed, but we were still a bunch of pretty happy campers at this point.

Brynn momentarily trying the TikTok trend of doing nothing during a flight but watch the map of the flight path.


We headed straight for the beach as soon as we got to our rental house. The water was so warm. We then walked over to a Friendly's and ate dinner. 

I loved our rental house (we went through VRBO). It was a nice size for the four of us, close to the beach (only about a .25-mile walk) and was decorated so cute. Unfortunately, we quickly realized we seemed to be staying in a sketchier part of town. Come to find out, North Myrtle is the more desirable area for vacationers to stay. We were in South Myrtle. :-( Nothing happened or anything, but after speaking with a cop and a couple of Uber drivers, it was best to stay on alert and not go out alone at night.




We did not do a rental car since the beach was so close by, along with a Wal-Mart. So, we were able to make a few trips for groceries and some toiletries. And strawberries for Clara. 


Our first morning we got set up at the beach. 















Dana bought this shelling tool for Brynn since she likes to search for sea shells so much.

Clara and Dana swam in the pool in our backyard of the house for the afternoon and Brynn and I did some shopping at Broadway at the Beach which had different shops, restaurants and experiences like ziplining, boat rides, an aquarium, etc.


We ate dinner on the rooftop of a placed called RipTyde that was overlooking the beach.





We walked part of the way back to the house along the beach. Dana walked the rest of the way while the girls and I Ubered back.








We did tend to start out our mornings at the beach. It was so nice that the VRBO had a wagon, umbrella, chairs and a boogie board for us.











Clara perusing the Broadway at the Beach brochure to see where she wanted to hit up when we all went back together.

But first, swimming. I don't recall what Brynn and I did while these two were back in the pool, but I think Brynn and I walked to some of the closer-by stores.



We regrouped and headed to Broadway at the Beach for the rest of the afternoon/evening. Brynn had wanted to get a second hole in her ears so we stopped at Claire's so she could do that. She wouldn't let me take any pics though.

But, before that, our first stop was Ripley's Aquarium.


















Brynn wasn't hungry yet, so she enjoyed a mocktail while the rest of us had pizza at Clara's choice: Extreme Pizza. It was really good.



Then Dana and Brynn went ziplining. Clara and I safely cheered them on from the ground.



Dana took Clara through a science museum called Wonderworks while Brynn and I went to The Hard Rock Cafe so she could have some dinner.


We found a really yummy ice cream shop.


Dana and Clara caught up with us and got some ice cream too.








Wednesday started out at the beach again.




Dana made Clara some pancakes for breakfast.

We headed out for a late brunch at a French restaurant featuring crepes that Brynn had found. All of us enjoyed it so much. It was a beautiful place with great service and amazing crepes and desserts.









Following brunch, Dana and Brynn headed over to Wheels of Yesteryear, a classic car museum.


Clara and I stuck around the area after brunch and went it some of the shops before coming back to the house where I read while Clara swam.

For dinner that night, I had booked a riverboat dinner cruise.







Brynn joined us out by the pool for some coloring.

On Thursday we actually did not head straight for the beach, but instead made our way out to Murrells Inlet for an airboat ride on the Waccamaw River.


We did see some gators, but only still-curious babies. Our guide explained the babies aren't scared and cautious yet like the adult gators.







We saw this little guy up by the office.


We went to a nearby recommended spot, Drunken Jack's, for lunch.





I thought this lady in this portrait bore a resemblance to me, so I made Brynn take a pic of me next to it. Haha.

They had really tasty hush puppies.



It started pouring rain while we were eating and kept raining most of the rest of Thursday.

We were resting and watching movies at the house and Brynn decided to head to the beach to go shelling. So I tagged along with her. 



I was actually chilly with the raining coming down on me. Brynn wasn't cold at all.



We had found an Italian restaurant we wanted to check out, so we went to Crave Italian on our last night.

We were waiting a while outside for a table and the girls made their way over to where I was standing and soon we started giggling at their outfits, declaring Clara's style of the evening "coastal grandma," as the kids call it.




And Brynn with her Amish look. Haha.

They had a live singer from New Jersey singing oldies. It was so fun. We were seated right in front of him, which at first I was a bit wary of how loud it might be, but it turned out just fine.

The food was also really good.

I don't know who took this pic, why or when, but it was so cute so I wanted to include it.

Not all can be winners, so please enjoy this bloopers reel.


We had a good time on our vacation, but I'm always glad to get back home to my creature comforts and routines. I have one more trip for this year planned which is in a couple of weeks when I go back to Chicago, this time with Brynn, for her birthday trip. I'm very much looking forward to that as well, and then will be content to resume my hermit lifestyle for the remainder of 2024. :-)






Comments

theweckerlys said…
Yes, the house was super cute! And so nice to have a pool. Such a sweet picture of Clara eating her strawberry. I also love the one of the beach with the ferris wheel in the background. And cute family pics on the beach! Clara with the pirate is so great :) Looks like good fun and good food. I would have liked those crepes. Brynn's shelling tool is super cool. Elise and I just had a good crack-up at coastal grandma :)

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Things + Dana's Hunting Trip

 Clara and I walked over to the high school for a boys' soccer game. They were pretty impressive to watch. Elise and Clara had fun raking leaves and Grandpa and Grandma's lake. Well, I know Clara had a great time for sure. I can't remember if I had posted that Dana did away with the garden and planted grass where it once was. So, Clara mowed that section. It was a perfect size for her to tackle. She might have found herself a summer job already. An amazing double rainbow! Thank you to those who donated for Clara's school walk-a-thon which took place last Monday. Dana and I were able to go watch and then joined in for some laps as well. Benny the Eagle was out there cheering the kids on too. Dana was busy making monster cookies for his annual hunting trip up north with his Dad and family friends. He kindly left some behind for us...which are long since gone now. :-) Grandma Holly came up while the guys were gone and took Clara shopping and the girls for lunch on Saturday

Thanksgiving 2023

The kids rolled out and baked sugar cookies for Thanksgiving. We finished our thankful pumpkin. I saw this in the store and given the season, it took me right back to my Grandma D's house on Thanksgiving and the bowl of walnuts she'd have on her table with the nutcracker. I wanted to buy it just for nostalgia purposes. Cora and Clara made these adorable turkey crafts at the crafternoon at the library.  On Tuesday we went downtown for the tree lighting at Broadway Square. Abby, Hubert's sister, joined us as well. She just turned 10, so she got along pretty well with Clara. They had s'mores kits so we had to toast some mallows right away. I love how Clara's marshmallow is completely ablaze and she's still posing for the photo. Hahaha. We had to visit the reindeer too. I made them do jazz hands. And then, of course, we had to hit up Blackbird afterward. Our Wednesday morning XaBeat class. We were feelin' pretty festive. The girls had Wednesday off from school,

May Day + My Birthday + Star Wars Day

Brynn put together our May Day baskets and did a fantastic job. Clara and I did the deliveries... And we received one as well with these beautiful flowers. It was from Clara's friend, Cora, and her fam. We went out to dinner as a family to celebrate my birthday on Wednesday to best accommodate schedules this week. I got to open my cards and gifts when we got home. I had picked up a slice of puppy chow cake at Sonder Bakehouse so we all shared that. Then Brynn and I went out to play a little tennis. It was a beautiful day outside. I had taken Friday (my actual birthday) off of work and Tessa came up to have brunch with me. We had Black Coffee + Waffle Bar. It was so fun. Then May did my hair as it was overdue for a cut and color. Dana and I were able to go out just us two while Brynn took Clara to her school fun night...not only that, but Brynn also volunteered to sell tickets/wristbands (I was originally going to do it) so that I didn't have to and could go out. 💜 I had a coup