Skip to main content

Kohl's Resort + November Beginning

Clara's school picture. 💜

Sometimes Clara's school will have discount skate night at Skate City - I think it's put on through the PTA. So, Dana and Clara took that in.

I love how they were holding hands. :-)

.

Clara has been visiting our neighbor Barb after school recently. They had made a date for Clara to come over one afternoon after she got off the bus. Barb had inquired with both Clara and me as to Clara's favorite snacks and they had discussed what they were going to do together, etc. Barb sent me this pic a few minutes after Clara had arrived over there. It was so sweet; she had Clara's apple and popcorn all ready to go for her. (And a glass of water). Indeed Clara's fav snacks! Clara brought over cards so she could teach Barb how to play Nertz. So thankful for wonderful neighbors. She is so good to the girls.

She even bought Clara this Space Dog, knowing how much she loves astronomy. It is really cool...and smart! It plays music and does all kinds of other 'tricks.' 



We had planned a weekend up at Kohl's Resort to celebrate Brian turning 40 (he and his wife, our friends, own the resort). It was pretty cold up there by this time, so we decided not to bring the four-wheelers. 

Clara and I downloaded a bird watching/identifier app onto my phone and went on a morning walk to find some birds.


We had to hit up Red Stu in Bemidji for brunch. The best!



Brynn's friend, Brooklyn, was able to join us for the weekend.

We were able to spend some time with Auntie Christel and Uncle John...and the kitties. The girls stayed busy playing with the cats, painting, doing puzzles, playing video games and watching a movie.




Brooklyn, Christel and I went for a walk in their woods since it was so nice out. We successfully avoided getting shot by any nearby hunters. 

Thankfully the lodge was open while the girls were swimming later in the evening so we could help ourselves to the best ice cream ever!












Ashley's cat snuck into our cabin with us. He was so sweet and friendly.




The girls rearranged Clara's room.

Brynn had to do a book report of sorts on 'Warriors Don't Cry," written by Melba Pattillo Beals. Melba was one of the "Little Rock Nine" who were the first Black students to integrate to an all-white high school in Little Rock, AR. The book details her experience and is a heartbreaking read, not surprisingly.  I don't know if this book is required reading for many other schools, but what is interesting about it is Brynn's school is named after the judge who ordered the integration of the school in Little Rock. 


She was working on her paper in my bed next to me and I picked up the book and started reading it. I'm about halfway through it and better step on it because she has to return it to the school on Monday!

Clara got some spy gear through one of her book orders recently and wrote and then decoded for me a secret note.

I guess winter has arrived. I'm never ready it seems. On Wednesday night Brynn was hoping for a storm day on Thursday and Clara was hoping that school would be two hours late. Neither happened and they had to go to school on Thursday. It wasn't too bad earlier in the morning, but it did get progressively worse throughout the day. Clara made it outside for a bit while I was making dinner.

Speaking of dinner...it seemed like a good day for soup so knephla it was.

We had actually planned to go to Weckerlys' for a visit this weekend, but decided to stay put with the weather and road conditions. We were all disappointed as we had been looking forward to getting together. 

My parents made it up to the lake and picked up the girls on their way through Fargo, so at least they were able to still do something fun this weekend. (Thanks, Mom and Dad!) Dana and I have been trying to get caught up some things around the house while the girls are gone. I'm counting down the days to Thanksgiving and trying to finalize my planning and such. I came across this meme this week and  had to share it here. Though coffee isn't one of my vices, I guess I would replace that with sugar or cookies or something. Ha! We're looking forward to hosting again this year.










Comments

Tessa said…
Oh my gosh, that skating video is the cutest thing ever. And of course Clara included an apple in her favorite snack :) That space thing is super cool; what a sweet neighbor! I think Dana should grow a handlebar mustache; it looks pretty good, ha! It looks like great fun at Kohl's Resort! I'll have to mark down that book rec. What did Brynn think of it? Oh man, I remember the girls getting a spy kit from a book order form a long time ago. Fun, fun. Haha, can't wait for Thanksgiving even if (or maybe especially if) it is overboard!

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Things + Dana's Hunting Trip

 Clara and I walked over to the high school for a boys' soccer game. They were pretty impressive to watch. Elise and Clara had fun raking leaves and Grandpa and Grandma's lake. Well, I know Clara had a great time for sure. I can't remember if I had posted that Dana did away with the garden and planted grass where it once was. So, Clara mowed that section. It was a perfect size for her to tackle. She might have found herself a summer job already. An amazing double rainbow! Thank you to those who donated for Clara's school walk-a-thon which took place last Monday. Dana and I were able to go watch and then joined in for some laps as well. Benny the Eagle was out there cheering the kids on too. Dana was busy making monster cookies for his annual hunting trip up north with his Dad and family friends. He kindly left some behind for us...which are long since gone now. :-) Grandma Holly came up while the guys were gone and took Clara shopping and the girls for lunch on Saturday

Thanksgiving 2023

The kids rolled out and baked sugar cookies for Thanksgiving. We finished our thankful pumpkin. I saw this in the store and given the season, it took me right back to my Grandma D's house on Thanksgiving and the bowl of walnuts she'd have on her table with the nutcracker. I wanted to buy it just for nostalgia purposes. Cora and Clara made these adorable turkey crafts at the crafternoon at the library.  On Tuesday we went downtown for the tree lighting at Broadway Square. Abby, Hubert's sister, joined us as well. She just turned 10, so she got along pretty well with Clara. They had s'mores kits so we had to toast some mallows right away. I love how Clara's marshmallow is completely ablaze and she's still posing for the photo. Hahaha. We had to visit the reindeer too. I made them do jazz hands. And then, of course, we had to hit up Blackbird afterward. Our Wednesday morning XaBeat class. We were feelin' pretty festive. The girls had Wednesday off from school,

May Day + My Birthday + Star Wars Day

Brynn put together our May Day baskets and did a fantastic job. Clara and I did the deliveries... And we received one as well with these beautiful flowers. It was from Clara's friend, Cora, and her fam. We went out to dinner as a family to celebrate my birthday on Wednesday to best accommodate schedules this week. I got to open my cards and gifts when we got home. I had picked up a slice of puppy chow cake at Sonder Bakehouse so we all shared that. Then Brynn and I went out to play a little tennis. It was a beautiful day outside. I had taken Friday (my actual birthday) off of work and Tessa came up to have brunch with me. We had Black Coffee + Waffle Bar. It was so fun. Then May did my hair as it was overdue for a cut and color. Dana and I were able to go out just us two while Brynn took Clara to her school fun night...not only that, but Brynn also volunteered to sell tickets/wristbands (I was originally going to do it) so that I didn't have to and could go out. 💜 I had a coup