Skip to main content

First Day of School

I'm happy to report that the first day of school was a success! 

Clara was pretty sleepy this morning, so I had to wake her up. (The whole getting on the school routine before school actual starts idea did not go as planned aka it didn't go at all.) They ate breakfast at home here and quickly finished getting ready in order to make sure we had time for pics, of course. We saw Clara's bus roll through the cul-de-sac, but we waved him on since I was planning on dropping the girls off for their first day.

Clara's school had given out t-shirts to all the kindergartners like Brynn's did when she was starting middle school last year.



First stop was Clara. The teachers were greeting the kids at their outside doors and parents with their children were naturally lining up and waiting for each student to be welcomed into the classroom before going next. Clara was so excited that she didn't seem hesitant or apprehensive at all. She just was trying to figure out where she was going and seemed a little unsure about that, but she'll get the hang of it in no time. And the staff are so great about helping the kindergartners. 

I was pretty proud of myself that I only got a little teary and that was about it. I think it helped that Clara wasn't sad or worried or anything. After a quick pic with Mrs. Schneider, she disappeared right into the classroom. 




Next up was Brynn which was pretty anticlimactic in comparison, but I was still glad to be able to drop her off.




Both girls' buses dropped off right on time, an hour apart. It was the most precious thing watching Clara come off the bus. She started waving to me before she even stepped off and then by the time she had run to me, she was giggling. :-) 




She didn't have too much to tell me unless it was about her iPad that she got. She started charging it up right away and then taking a lot of videos and selfies. She did say she had a great first day and was really excited about how it went. Mrs. Schneider uploaded some pics from the day into the parent app which is always so fun to be able to get a glimpse of what they were up to.



I don't know if you can see it very well, but the teacher placed little photo cutouts of the other students who are on the opposing days as Clara's group. Ha! I love it. One of the boys' pictures who is in the front is one of Clara's friends from preschool. She was bummed that he was not there on the same days that she will be, but if they end up all together later in the year, then that would work out. (Clara is in the very back, left corner.)

If you've seen 'Toy Story 4,' you'll recognize Forky! I love it - they turned out so great and look just like the character from the movie.


They're able to do a really good job of social distancing on Brynn's bus as it was only her and one other high school boy! We thought maybe it was quieter today since it was the first day, so we'll see if she has many others on with her. She told me she sits up front so that she can visit with the driver. :-) She said he asked what she was up to all summer and how the first day went and all. 

I was just soaking up everything they were telling me at dinner and am so happy they both had a great day. They both said kids did well with their masks from what they noticed and it wasn't too bad wearing them for that long either. Brynn likes her teachers and classes so far and already got her homework done from today.

We aren't sure what the next couple of days will look like for Brynn and logging on for classes or if it will be more like Clara's set up where you more so work on assignments. 

A treat was in order for a successful first day, so we went out for Cold Stone.

Clara's mask cracks me up. :-)


Comments

theweckerlys said…
Aw, love it! How exciting. So glad they had a great first day!

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Things + Dana's Hunting Trip

 Clara and I walked over to the high school for a boys' soccer game. They were pretty impressive to watch. Elise and Clara had fun raking leaves and Grandpa and Grandma's lake. Well, I know Clara had a great time for sure. I can't remember if I had posted that Dana did away with the garden and planted grass where it once was. So, Clara mowed that section. It was a perfect size for her to tackle. She might have found herself a summer job already. An amazing double rainbow! Thank you to those who donated for Clara's school walk-a-thon which took place last Monday. Dana and I were able to go watch and then joined in for some laps as well. Benny the Eagle was out there cheering the kids on too. Dana was busy making monster cookies for his annual hunting trip up north with his Dad and family friends. He kindly left some behind for us...which are long since gone now. :-) Grandma Holly came up while the guys were gone and took Clara shopping and the girls for lunch on Saturday

Thanksgiving 2023

The kids rolled out and baked sugar cookies for Thanksgiving. We finished our thankful pumpkin. I saw this in the store and given the season, it took me right back to my Grandma D's house on Thanksgiving and the bowl of walnuts she'd have on her table with the nutcracker. I wanted to buy it just for nostalgia purposes. Cora and Clara made these adorable turkey crafts at the crafternoon at the library.  On Tuesday we went downtown for the tree lighting at Broadway Square. Abby, Hubert's sister, joined us as well. She just turned 10, so she got along pretty well with Clara. They had s'mores kits so we had to toast some mallows right away. I love how Clara's marshmallow is completely ablaze and she's still posing for the photo. Hahaha. We had to visit the reindeer too. I made them do jazz hands. And then, of course, we had to hit up Blackbird afterward. Our Wednesday morning XaBeat class. We were feelin' pretty festive. The girls had Wednesday off from school,

May Day + My Birthday + Star Wars Day

Brynn put together our May Day baskets and did a fantastic job. Clara and I did the deliveries... And we received one as well with these beautiful flowers. It was from Clara's friend, Cora, and her fam. We went out to dinner as a family to celebrate my birthday on Wednesday to best accommodate schedules this week. I got to open my cards and gifts when we got home. I had picked up a slice of puppy chow cake at Sonder Bakehouse so we all shared that. Then Brynn and I went out to play a little tennis. It was a beautiful day outside. I had taken Friday (my actual birthday) off of work and Tessa came up to have brunch with me. We had Black Coffee + Waffle Bar. It was so fun. Then May did my hair as it was overdue for a cut and color. Dana and I were able to go out just us two while Brynn took Clara to her school fun night...not only that, but Brynn also volunteered to sell tickets/wristbands (I was originally going to do it) so that I didn't have to and could go out. 💜 I had a coup